Welcome Parents & Families
This page is especially for you! Check back often for parent information and activities you can do at home to support your child's math learning.
- Oregon State Math Standards: This is what your student is expected to learn at each grade, K-8 and in High School.
- Math Mistakes: Making mistakes helps kids learn! This article explains how teachers and parents can help their students learn from the mistakes they make while learning mathematics.
- OCSD Parent Tips and Support: Handout on how to support math homework and ideas for talking about math with your child. (English and Spanish)
- OCSD Mathematical Practices for Parents: Handout on the Common Core Standards for Mathematical Practice and the Math Expressions: Common Core philosopy. This document includes a description of how differentiation occurs in core instruction. (English and Spanish)
- Youcubed.org Parent Handout
Support for Homework:
- Homework Help (1-5): Videos explaining math concepts that kids typically need help with. A great resource if they need help with their homework!
- AAA Math (K-6): Not sure what your child needs to do on their homework? Short explanations on hundreds of topics at all levels, with on-line practice on each page.
- Figuring out Quadrilaterals (3-6): This site provides definitions for common shapes and related vocabulary that kids need to know.
- Khan Academy: Videos on a wide variety of topics to support students' learning.
- LearnZillion: Videos on a wide variety of topics to support students' learning.
Fun & Games:
- PBS Early Math Tips (Newborns - 2nd Grade): Help your child develop mathematical smarts while you play. Fun ideas for parents to do with your little ones, even before they start school!
- Bedtime Math (PreK-5): Daily problems you can use to talk math with your kids and encourage them to think about numbers in their everyday lives!
- Counting with Base 10 Blocks (K-3): An interactive website where students can build numbers using 100s, 10s, and 1s.
- Fact Practice (1-6): Timed practice for basic facts in all four operations. You can set which numbers students work with.
- Shape Sorter Game: Click the matching figures by shape and color as fast as you can. Don't let the stacks get too tall!
- Telling Time Match (5 min): On-line practice game telling time to the nearest 5 minutes.
- Multiplication Matho (3-6): Mixed practice of multiplication facts through 12. Speed and accuracy count! get 5 correct answers in a row to stop the clock (like Bingo).
- Math Millionaire (3-6): Based on the tv show, kids answer math questions to see how much money they can win!
- Using a Protractor (5-8): On-line practice with measuring angles.
- Math Vocabulary Review (5-8): Review Important math terms every student should know.
- Arcamedics Games (1-6): Review games on a variety of topics.
- Sheppard Software Games (K-8): Review games with examples on a variety of topics.
- "Acing Math" Card Games: These games can be played with a simple deck of cards. Build math skills while spending time together as a family!